Friday, November 26, 2004

I love the Bronx

So last week a thief broke a window in my '89 Mitsubishi Montero and stole my radio ... the fourth time this has happened since I moved to New York four years ago. This time, it was the small triangular "vent" window on the passenger's side door, not the main roll-down window. I take it to this auto glass place on 10th Avenue near work; they give me an estimate of $120 (!) and say I'll have to leave it for an hour or so while the warehouse delivers the glass.
So today I drove to Hunt's Point Avenue in the Bronx, where I know a lot of glass places are located. As soon as I get off the highway, there's this guy who spots my car, yells for me at the intersection and tell me to follow him. It seems a bit sketchy, but he does hand me a card. And via cell-phone, he confirms the place has my vent-window in stock. They're able to fix it in half an hour - for $40!
I'm going to try to replace my car stereo with an XM radio, so we'll see how that works out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home